Daisypath Wedding tickers

Sunday, March 15, 2009

I LOVE New York!

So, it's been a while since I've been able to blog. School has gotten crazy busy and it's only going to continue to get crazier until the end of the semester.

I had the opportunity to head to New York City for Spring Break with Campus Crusade for Christ. Our purpose was to help the Brooklyn STINT team out by meeting students on college campuses and making contacts. We went out and used Soularium (mysoularium.com) and Quest surveys as a way to initiate conversations. Soularium is a set of 50 pictures that are useful in creating spiritual dialogue. I was fortunate enough to help lead a girl I met, Sarah from Pratt Institute, to pray to receive Christ. It was so encouraging to hear how the Lord is at work in New York City through the testimonies of other student's conversations.

I am now in LOVE with New York City. I had so many misconceptions about the city and the people that live there. Everyone I met was so nice and so eager to talk to us. One day in Brooklyn, my group grabbed lunch at McDonald's and it was crazy busy, barely enough room to move around. Everyone inside was constantly saying "Excuse me, thank you, pardon me".

After nine hours in a Ford Focus with four other people (Sam, Brandon, Emily, & Avis), we finally arrive in NYC at our hostel. Driving into the city was SO stressful. There are no lanes and everyone is cutting each other off and horns are blaring everywhere. We got settled into our rooms and went downstairs to hang out in the basement where they had a pool table and couches. We had a brief meeting and pizza then our group took our first adventure on the subway towards Times Square. Times Square was lit up and so pretty. We took pictures and went to the M&M store and the Hershey store.


Sunday we spent the day at the Space for briefing and evangelism training. Monday was supposed to be our first day on campus, but we got a lot of snow the night before and public schools were cancelled for the first time since 1996, so our free day was moved from Wednesday to Monday. We decided to head to Brooklyn where we crossed the Brooklyn Bridge. It was freezing but an amazing experience!! We also went to the tip of Manhatten to look at the Statue of Liberty. Next, we went to the Empire State Building. We were able to go inside and tour some of the ESB because CCC owns a college, The King's College, and it meets in the ESB. It was so cool. I felt like I was in Harry Potter, the college had a house system with points and a common room. Plus it was really cool to see the classes and stuff. For dinner, we went to Tom's Restuarant (the restuarant from Seinfeld). The food was pretty good too!



Thursday we went to Top of the Rock. I took me all week to figure out what the heck Top of the Rock was. It was really cool to get an entire view of the city. We got to take lots of pictures. Here's one of Central Park.

The rest of the week was spent on campus initiating conversations with students on college campuses. It's amazing to see what the Lord is doing in NYC and I can't wait to go back!


No comments:

Post a Comment